Monday, August 21, 2006

Breakfast at Beaterville

After a nice Saturday morning bike ride, we were hungry. Along the way home we had tossed around grand ideas of cooking farm-fresh eggs, herb-roasted potatoes and diligently brewed coffee. But by the time we got in the door, sweating, the idea of turning on the oven for 45 minutes and waiting for all the elements to come together didn’t seem like a good time. So, we headed out to breakfast.

Noneifbysea had heard really good, though potentially unreliable things about the Beaterville Cafe. There might have been a mention of “best breakfast in Portland.” Neither of us are really up on the Portland breakfast joint scene to question if this was a gross overstatement or not. Hungry and adventurous, we headed out.

For a Saturday morning around 11:30, we were really glad to find there wasn’t a wait for a two-top. “Sit anywhere,” a waitress said, pushing two menus in our hands as she walked by. We wandered around to the three different rooms, nearly taking a tiny back table, then an oversized booth, ending up at a nice yellow formica kitchen table that was, well, just right.

Noneifbysea ordered up some coffee. A small orange juice for me. The juice was great, freshly squeezed, perfectly refreshing. Noneifbysea flagged down the waitress for some cream, and before he could call her over again, I handed him my spoon since he was without silver. I could see him mentally tallying ‘strikes’ as he’s often wont to do. The coffee was strong. Really strong. Like spoon standing up in the coffee chili-style commercial strong. NIBS wasn’t complaining.

Food-wise, I was feeling eggy. I opted for the De Soto omelet, as a scramble, minus tomatoes. Chedder, spinach, b-b-b-bacon. Biscuit on the side and well-done potatoes. Those calories I had worked off on the bike ride were going to be coming back to me in style! Noneifbysea went for a classic combo of an egg over medium, one pancake and a slice of bacon. Oh, and on the side? A biscuit with sausage gravy.

Omelet was really good, probably because I was so damn hungry. I wished the potatoes were a little more done, but it really wasn’t worth noting. I liked my biscuit, but having grown up in California, I readily admit that I don’t know much about biscuits. Noneifbysea wasn’t blown away by his. I’ll venture a guess that he wouldn’t order it again.

So, food was solid. Good. Breakfast food. Kinda hard to screw up. I had no complaints, and believe you me, I’m always looking to complain. The only thing that might give me pause is the service. We had to ask for a few more things (syrup, silver), but all in all, it was fine. It came to just $22 with tip. Pretty solid, and sure, all things equal, I think I could see us heading back.

All in all
  • Food: good breakfast food. We’ll be back (unless cup and saucer opens up first)
  • Drink: fresh-squeezed juice and strong coffee. NIBS had hopes of a Bloody Mary, but, alas, no liquor
  • Atmosphere: Total Portland kitch, what with all the old car references and NoPo hipsters packed in every booth. What people imagine when they think of PDX breakfast places.
  • Strikes: half a strike for service
  • Tally: noneifbysea gets to claim it. Another good for him

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home